I got the binding on after Colleen quilted it and now it is done.
The binding fabric was a terrible choice. I bought it because it was 54″ wide or something. It frayed too much and was too loosely woven. I sincerely disliked it. I have to think more carefully about decisions and not just focus on how wide the fabric is.
The quilt turned out well. I like the juxtaposition between the flowers in the stars and the grey background. It isn’t perfect, but it is very nice. I really like the way the big blowsy flowers are showcased in the large pieces. I should do more with the Philip Jacobs fabrics on the front.
The back is pretty great, though. I love the big amounts of Philip Jacobs yardage.
I am thrilled with how this came out. Yes, this is one of the niece-phews quilts. I can’t wait to see what my niece thinks.
Flowerburst returned from the quilter about a week and a half ago. I have had so many other projects going on that I haven’t had time to post about it. I haven’t really worked on it either, so there hasn’t been much to say.
The photo is a little odd as I had to lay the quilt out on my living room floor and take the photo from the upstairs hallway (I have an open plan, mid-century modern house). When I get my other quilt hanger back from college and the quilt is bound, I’ll take another photo.
This was supposed to be a quick project and it was relatively. I didn’t like the directions, mostly because I had to conserve fabric, so I used different methods to cut the backgrounds, which meant I didn’t have as many leftovers as I would have if I had used KD’s methods. I understand the reasoning behind her cutting directions: she had to write directions for everyone not just for me, the person with the fabric shortage.
I like the way this quilt turned out. I liked using my big prints on the front for a change even though I will be gifting this quilt and won’t get to see those lovely prints very often.
I really like the idea of combining different sized blocks and think this, or a variation of this, pattern has potential for other layouts. I am thinking that a slightly larger block in the center with the smaller block would have worked as well. I think there could have been some transparency work as well, if I were willing to do a larger quilt.
A couple of the prints are Martha Negley prints, but they go so well with the Philip Jacobs prints.
The print on sea green with the flowers and melons is a favorite and was close to being a dress. I decided at the last minute that I couldn’t risk a melon ending up on a breast or buttock! I do love those flouncy lavender flowers, though. I also love the cantaloupe color combined with the sea green. I don’t remember seeing that combination before and will have to remember it in future.
Finally, Colleen did a great job on the quilting. I wanted her to highlight the stars and she did different designs in each one and they look great. I can’t wait to bind this and see what my niece thinks.