I like to teach quiltmaking using a sampler quilt format. I think it helps students ‘study’ the various techniques that are useful in quiltmaking. I also think that knowing various techniques makes quiltmakers more confident and able to figure out block construction without a pattern.
Sampler Class Tutorials:
Making the Blocks
- Cathedral Window block
- Dresden Plate: tutorial on making a Dresden Plate block using templates
- Double Pinwheel: a double pinwheel is a good block to learn triangles on.
- Fabric Selection
- Flower Basket
- Part 1 – Supply list, making templates, cutting fabric
- Flying Geese
- Foundation Piecing
- Hexagon Tutorial: Preparing to Sew: Sewing Y seams
- Hexagon Follow-up
- LeMoyne Star
- Nine Patch
- Partial Seams
- Fusible Machine Applique’
Finishing the Quilt
Some student work:
I wrote about Alice’s Sampler in 2007. She used batiks to make it and it just glows.
Beth’s Sampler using two color fabric choices:
Didn’t she do a nice job? This can be a really challenging color choice, because the maker doesn’t have much to work with in terms of creating contrast. Beth did an excellent job.