I started this series quite by accident, but it has worked out very well and I have a number of good, small quilt tops made from something for which I didn’t have an immediate use. I had a box of quilt ‘dreg’ ends. Dreg is an ugly word as it conjures an image of grounds in an empty coffee cup or discarded tea leaves. What I had were, simply, pieces and parts that don’t have an immediate need or use. Most were the edges cut off of quilts after squaring up. Some were quite large. For some reason, in 2017, I decided to go through the box in which they were stored. I was on a clearing jag and as I tossed out strips to get them out of the way, a kind of design emerged.
When I make these quilts, I have to add a background or constant fabric to each quilt as there isn’t enough fabric in the leftover edges to make much of anything without it.
Since then, I have gone through that hidden, out of sight box. I have found all of my quilt edges and made tops that will keep someone warm and happy. The thing is that I keep getting edges back. They tend to accumulate, so I can make more of them.
In August 2020, I took some edges out of the giant pile that I had accumulated and quickly put together Ends n.9. I kind of like the strips going horizontal. This was be quilted by Alison.
Ends n.10 was handed in to the guild to be quilted in July 2021.
After finding a new stash of edges, I started working through them with Ends n.11.
Ends n.12: Pop Parade was on the design wall for the whole time we were refreshing my workroom and into 2022 when DH finally put my design walls back up. The back uses an Italian restaurant fabric I have had for years.
Ends n.13 (Pink & Black) was started with the strips that were leftover when I made Ends. 12
Ends n.14 (Typewriter) was made from leftover fabric after quilt of the 2013 Stepping Stones quilt I made for my nephew.