This photo shows how this project started.
Well, really it started as a Kate Spain Terrain Jelly Roll, but then I sewed it into a quilt top using the Jelly Roll Race idea and it ended up looking like a bunch of Terrain strips sewn together.
As I mentioned many times, I didn’t like it. There was no design. The fabrics landed where they landed, which wasn’t always a good spot. I didn’t, however, want to waste a whole quilt top, so it languished while I decided what to do about it.
Eventually I decided that cutting it up into diamonds would be a good idea. I did that and sewed and sewed and sewed. The sewing seemed never ending. Diamonds are not hard to sew together, but you do have to pay attention. I ripped out a lot of seams to make lines match up. There are a few that don’t, but I can live with them.
I realized, after looking back on the process, that I go through stages. One is drama and one is where I am over the crest of the hill and on the downslope. I don’t know why I forget this, but I do. Every time.
On Sunday, I finished the top. I like it. I like it better than the Jelly Roll race version. I think it has more style and more of a design sensibility. It doesn’t look like I left the design to chance. It looks like I had a care.
I washed more of the Pure Elements Linen and will add a small border of the same around the whole outside. I also got some of the solid Terrain Iris, which looks like a deep purple and will use that for the binding. I need something to stop the white, but I still want the diamonds to float. Of course, I have the back to make to make. It is in process with the leftover diamonds. I will add some purples to the back. I also need to make the label.