I finally had a large chunk of time to make some good progress on a few projects over the weekend. Yay!
I made really good progress on the Box Full of Letters top. I think I will have a top soon.
As I said before the straight layout of blocks was too boring and it felt too confined or compressed to me. I suppose the ‘modern’ movement is affecting me, because I wanted these little envelopes to breathe a bit as well. I hadn’t any idea what I was going to do with them until I started to put them up on the wall. I had seen a quilt where the blocks were arranged on the diagonal kind of like a rocket taking off.
Yes, I arranged the colors and fabrics as I went along, but not too much.
After I got all the blocks up on the wall in the arrangement above, I looked at them for awhile, moving a few around and trying to imagine the final effect. I decided to go for it and began sewing. I sewed for probably 10 hours on Saturday, which is what happens when I am sew-deprived and finally get some time. I thought I would finish the top on Sunday, but I didn’t quite. I only have a few seams left.
I am more pleased with this piece than I had been. After quilting, I think I will just put a binding on it and leave it without borders.