Finished: Pink T Quilt

Pink T Quilt front
Pink T Quilt front

Yes, shockingly I finished something. It seems like it took forever! I know it didn’t take forever, because we made the top on January 4.

I made the back, as I mentioned, then I sent it off to Gerre with a Frankenbatting and she quilted it. I got it back and put the binding on. It really went very quickly once I sat down and sewed the binding. <It went much better than the quilt in front of it with a batik back AND binding. What was I thinking?>

The back came out pretty well and wasn’t a misery to put together. I am still uncomfortable not putting a label on these donation quilts, but I hope that documenting the quilt here will help historians some day. If the quilt is just loved to death then that will be enough.

Pink T Quilt back
Pink T Quilt back

I was able to use up some pinks and make a fun quilt. I am already thinking about what color to cut next. I am not a big fan of green, but I have a lot of green. If I cut orange to go with it, it would be really different and might appeal to someone who walks to the beat of a different drummer.

More Doing Good

Pink T Quilt Back
Pink T Quilt Back

Remember the quilt top Gerre and I made? I worked last Sunday on the back for the piece. I used as much of the fabric from the front as I could.

I also used part of the back from the Flowering Snowball quilt. Waste not want not. 😉

As an added bonus I found a piece of batting that I thought would be big enough, but it wasn’t so I spent some time last night, after the meeting and dragging the Young Man a Band performance, using the batting tape to make a piece of batting large enough. Gerre is willing to work with frankenbatting, so now the piece is ready to be sent to her.

Moving forward!

Back on the Doing Good Saddle

Well, 2015 has barely started and I can already say that I had a hand in making a donation top.

Ooops! I have forgotten what the politically correct term is for donation quilt. I guess I didn’t listen to Pam’s podcast episode well enough.


BAMQG Sew Day was yesterday. I planned to go and had all of my cutting projects planned out to take when I thought of emailing Gerre to see if she would be there. Gerre and I made the Green T quilt together in the Great Charity Race last fall. We make a good team and Gerre makes me happy to be around.

Shockingly, she said no! It turns out that she was injured before Christmas had had been stuck at home since then and she didn’t feel like it. I cajoled and encouraged and bribed her with the prospect of working on another charity project with me. My thought was that she wouldn’t have to think about a project. She could just show up with her sewing machine.

It worked! Gerre decided to come and my job was to get fabric for another ‘T’ quilt together. We agreed that something cheerful was in order. I pulled out some pinks. I also pulled some beiges for the background that I wanted to use up anyway.

I arrived a little later than I intended (those PJs were nice and comfy). I started pressing and Gerre started cutting. The T quilts we made during the Great Charity Race were cut out. We found out how daunting the cutting can be. Once we passed that hurdle, I sewed the first seam and then pressed and Gerre sewed the rest as I pressed and handed her pieces.

Pink T Donation Quilt
Pink T Donation Quilt

The result is a cheerful quilt that we hope some lovely girl will enjoy. I don’t even think the beiges are very terrible.

Gerre has the piece, which is about 55″x45″. I will make the back and send it to her, she will quilt it, then I will bind it.

Gerre left much more cheerful and I got in over 5K steps running around, so it was a good day on many different levels.