Oxford Instruments is a leading provider of high technology tools and systems for research and industry.
Instrument (2003 movie)
Definition1: “A musical instrument is an instrument created or adapted to make musical sounds. In principle, any object that produces sound can be a musical instrument—it is through purpose that the object becomes a musical instrument. The history of musical instruments dates to the beginnings of human culture. Early musical instruments may have been used for ritual, such as a trumpet to signal success on the hunt, or a drum in a religious ceremony. Cultures eventually developed composition and performance of melodies for entertainment. Musical instruments evolved in step with changing applications.
The date and origin of the first device considered a musical instrument is disputed. The oldest object that some scholars refer to as a musical instrument, a simple flute, dates back as far as 67,000 years. Some consensus dates early flutes to about 37,000 years ago. However, most historians believe that determining a specific time of musical instrument invention is impossible due to the subjectivity of the definition and the relative instability of materials used to make them. Many early musical instruments were made from animal skins, bone, wood, and other non-durable materials.
Musical instruments developed independently in many populated regions of the world. However, contact among civilizations caused rapid spread and adaptation of most instruments in places far from their origin. By the Middle Ages, instruments from Mesopotamia were in Maritime Southeast Asia, and Europeans played instruments from North Africa. Development in the Americas occurred at a slower pace, but cultures of North, Central, and South America shared musical instruments. By 1400, musical instrument development slowed in many areas and was dominated by the Occident.
Musical instrument classification is a discipline in its own right, and many systems of classification have been used over the years. Instruments can be classified by their effective range, their material composition, their size, etc. However, the most common academic method, Hornbostel-Sachs, uses the means by which they produce sound. The academic study of musical instruments is called organology.” (Wikipedia)
Definition2: “A device used to determine the present value of quantity under measurement” (Wikipedia)
A digital creative studio in Portland
Native Instruments is a leading manufacturer of software and hardware for computer-based audio production and DJing.
Science and technology
- Flight instruments, the devices used to measure the speed, altitude, and pertinent flight angles of various kinds of aircraft
- Laboratory equipment, the measuring tools used in a scientific laboratory, often electronic in nature
- Mathematical instrument,devices used in geometric construction or measurements in astronomy, surveying and navigation
- Measuring instrument, a device used to measure or compare physical properties
- Medical instrument, a device used to diagnose or treat diseases
- Optical instrument, relies on the properties of light
- Quantum instrument, a mathematical object in quantum theory combining the concepts of measurement and quantum operation
- Scientific instrument, a device used to collect scientific data
- Surgical instrument
- Vehicle instrument, a device measuring parameters of a vehicle, such as its speed or position
- Weather instrument, a device used to record aspects of the weather
- Musical instrument, a device designed to produce musical sounds
- Percussion instrument, which is struck
- String instrument, uses vibrating strings
- Transposing instrument, allows music to be played in a different key
- Wind instrument, which is blown
- Instrumental variable, a method used in statistics
- Financial instrument, a formal documentation of a financial transaction
- General Instrument, an electronics manufacturing company
- Legal instrument, a formal documentation of a status or transaction
- Negotiable instrument, a type of contract
- Statutory instrument, a form of legislation
- Texas Instruments, a semiconductor manufacturing company
Post the direct URL (link) where your drawing, doodle, artwork is posted (e.g. your blog, Flickr) in the comments area of this post. I would really like to keep all the artwork together and provide a way for others to see your work and/or your blog.
We are also talking about this on Twitter. Use the hashtag #CPP
The Creative Prompt Project, also, has a Flickr group, which you can join to post your responses. I created this spot so those of you without blogs and websites would have a place to post your responses.