As I mentioned yesterday, Gerre and I teamed up for the Charity Race Sew Day. we were 4th in line to pick fabric and ended up with a variety of green colors. Gerre and I looked at each other in disappointment, but knew that the recipient would like it and got to work.
We pushed two tables together and used that as our workspace. We laid out most (the table wasn’t THAT big) of the pieces, cut the background and Gerre started sewing.
After cutting the background, I paired up pieces and parts and handed them to Gerre. She put them through the machine. I cut them off, pressed them, then paired them off again with other pieces and handed them back to Gerre to sew.
I thought we did very well and sewed pretty quickly. Still, we weren’t first with a finished top. I don’t sew very quickly in general, and, though I wasn’t sewing, I was pleased that we were able to finish as quickly as we did with little or no drama. I was organized and got Gerre the pieces she needed efficiently. She was a sewing rock star. Our system worked.
After we finished the piecing, we found a vintage sheet that was large enough for the back and layered and basted the top. I thought we were being nice for some other guild member, but Gerre said that she will quilt it. I offered to bind it so the piece will be done when we hand it in.
I showed Gerre how to “chunk a top.” It is harder if you don’t have a design wall and lots of leaders and enders. That plug lump in the middle of the table didn’t help, though it was useful for making the machine work. We started making postage stamp blocks in between to try and keep the T blocks in order.
I really think this is a great pattern for charity quilts. It is interesting. There are lots of ways to put it together and it comes out well. I want to work with Gerre again.