I needed a new journal cover, but I also made this with some scraps to comply with Sandy’s Stash Mystery challenge. I tried to do her gorilla challenge last summer, but never got to the stitching. I still would like to finish that, but it isn’t high on the priority list.
Anyway, I heard her talk about the challenge and then I went to look at the requirements. Knowing I had to make a new journal cover and it would fit the rules, I used the requisite number of fabrics and made the journal cover.
I have already been using it for a few days and I don’t know what I was thinking. Have I made one of these before? It certainly doesn’t seem like it. I had problems with the stitching and I forgot to put interfacing or batting on the inside, so it feels really weird.
I started out with the wild dark orange with blue, yellow and orange print. It is an older fabric that I have had for awhile. I pulled that out when I was making the Lovey blocks, but ended up not using it. The piece of the crazy print I had was nearly exactly the right size for a journal cover, so instead of putting back in the orange bin, I used that for the basis of the journal cover. I used some other small pieces, as I mentioned. The colors are good together except the white in the dot print really screams.
I may switch it out for one of the other journal covers I have already made or I may make a new one and put this on an old journal. I just don’t like the way it feels. I use these journals for 2-3 months and I don’t want to be thinking “I don’t like this journal cover” every day. We’ll see.