Well, 2015 has barely started and I can already say that I had a hand in making a donation top.
Ooops! I have forgotten what the politically correct term is for donation quilt. I guess I didn’t listen to Pam’s podcast episode well enough.
BAMQG Sew Day was yesterday. I planned to go and had all of my cutting projects planned out to take when I thought of emailing Gerre to see if she would be there. Gerre and I made the Green T quilt together in the Great Charity Race last fall. We make a good team and Gerre makes me happy to be around.
Shockingly, she said no! It turns out that she was injured before Christmas had had been stuck at home since then and she didn’t feel like it. I cajoled and encouraged and bribed her with the prospect of working on another charity project with me. My thought was that she wouldn’t have to think about a project. She could just show up with her sewing machine.
It worked! Gerre decided to come and my job was to get fabric for another ‘T’ quilt together. We agreed that something cheerful was in order. I pulled out some pinks. I also pulled some beiges for the background that I wanted to use up anyway.
I arrived a little later than I intended (those PJs were nice and comfy). I started pressing and Gerre started cutting. The T quilts we made during the Great Charity Race were cut out. We found out how daunting the cutting can be. Once we passed that hurdle, I sewed the first seam and then pressed and Gerre sewed the rest as I pressed and handed her pieces.
The result is a cheerful quilt that we hope some lovely girl will enjoy. I don’t even think the beiges are very terrible.
Gerre has the piece, which is about 55″x45″. I will make the back and send it to her, she will quilt it, then I will bind it.
Gerre left much more cheerful and I got in over 5K steps running around, so it was a good day on many different levels.