I wanted to name this quilt Zeus & Athena, because it sprang fully formed, pretty much, from my head. Unlike Zeus, I didn’t have a massive headache beforehand. I had a lot of influences, though, so I just went with a simple title.
The first inspiration was a quilt by Kathleen Robertson, a fellow member of the Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild. She showed her version of the quilt at a meeting and it stuck in my mind. She used a pattern by Elizabeth Hartman of the Oh Fransson! blog. I have done wonky cutting, and perhaps even wonky 9 patches, before, so I reviewed the directions, but kind of did the cutting my own way.
I bought a fabric pack of oranges from a shop called From Here to Quilternity. I really liked the variety and different scales, but didn’t have a project in mind. With the oranges still on my mind, I saw the photo, from Pinterest (below) with the combination of blue and orange and thought that it would really make a striking version of Kathleen’s quilt. I had to add some oranges to the FQ pack just to get enough variety.
On May 18, I started cutting squares and had the quilt the size of Elizabeth Hartman’s ready to put together. I decided that it was too small, so I made 10 more blocks. While not a bed quilt, it is large enough to wrap up in or play on.
Then the quilt sat for awhile. A long while until I was off of work in August 2014 and I decided that it was one of the goals that I would accomplish while I was off. I did, then sewed on the binding and voila! Another finish.
Part of the Niece-phews series.
Collection of Aidan Lapachet