Darla, over at the Scientific Quilter, is once again doing her March-A-Long. Head over to let her know you are participating and then sew for 15 minutes a day through March.
TQS reported that David Taylor’s house was devastated by a fire after an explosion caused by ice and snow. The post was updated on 2/22/2016 with more information, which talks about the losses. Sad.
Exhibits and Events
The San Mateo Fair is coming June 11-19, 2016. Check out the Creative Home Arts section to find the rules for entering your quilts into the show. Let’s fill the hall!
“Voices of American Design” Lecture: Michael James, Quilting – Michael James will be lecturing at the George Washington University Museum | Textile Museum on Thursday, April 14, 2016, at 6pm.
ArtPrize was awarded to a quiltmaker! thanks to Karen Van Bargen for the tip.
Scott Murkin, certified quilt judge, discusses how Modern Quilts compete with ‘regular’ quilts when there is no special category in an interview with Mandy of Mandalei quilts.
Here is an overview of some of the QuiltCon posts:
- Donation quilts at QuiltCon
- Victoria Findlay Wolfe’s pre-QuiltCon post about her quilt, Mr. Swirl E. Bones
- Victoria Findlay Wolfe’s post on winning Viewer’s Choice
- Victoria Findlay Wolfe’s post on making donation blocks and having fun at QuiltCon
- Victoria Findlay Wolfe’s post on winning Judge’s Choice
- Victoria Findlay Wolfe on QuiltCon Recap
- Victoria Findlay Wolfe talking about her Stretch Hex, etc classes
- Quilter in the Closet and her thoughts on QuiltCon West
- Judging the Modern quilt by Frances of the Off Kilter quilt
- QuiltCon Show Winners
- A whole variety of posts by the QuiltCon tag
- Salty Quilter gives a very good summary of the show
- Questions and Opinions on QuiltCon West 2016 from Katie’s Quilting Corner
- Christa Watson’s comments on the quilts at QuiltCon
- Modern Handcraft on the ribbons awarded to winners
Mary and Marianne Fons have a new podcast out: Quilt Your Heart Out. I found it on iTunes.
Techniques, Tips & Tricks
Bear Creek Quilting Company has a guide to pre-cuts on their site. This guide gives you a quick description of what a specific pre-cut is and how much yardage is included. Did you know that a charm pack is about a 1/2 yard of fabric and a mini-charm pack is the equivalent of a 1/4 of a yard of fabric? This is very helpful.
Miss Lottie has a blog post that talks about finishing the edges of a small art quilt.
Patterns & Projects
I am so interested in the Millefiori/La Passacaglia English Paper Piecing designs. They are so complex and provide such a lot of visual interest. You can join an EPP Quilt-a-long of this style at Katja’s Quilt Shoppe. Check out the page and her information for the New Hexagon/Millefiore Quilt-Along.
Fabric & Supplies
I really liked the selection at bungalow Quilting & Yarn. I saw them at QuiltCon and was in a lecture with the owner fo the shop, Judy Gauthier. They have an Etsy shop to supply your online fabric needs. She also has a new book out on Scrap Management.
Aurifil is happy to announce that they are now offering their empty clear collection storage boxes for individual purchase. Now shop customers can create their own Aurifil thread collections directly from the store display! To learn more and for information about how to purchase, shop owners should click here to contact the Aurifil sales team.
You may have noticed changes to the blog – new themes, menus here and gone, etc. I am trying to finally update how the blog looks and it has not been a smooth process. It should be nearly settled in an overall way, but tweaks and refinements will continue. If you encounter any issues, please let me know.