The guild has started another Sew Happy Hour on Fridays. This one will be devoted to WIPs or group projects though, knowing the guild, people can work on whatever they want. Maria has designated the next date as a time to make Japanese aprons.
A Japanese apron is, apparently, an apron with no ties that crosses in the back. Maria sent a great article on different Japanese Apron patterns, which I mentioned in the most recent V&S post. I chose the Tessuti pattern, which is free, mostly because it was the first one I saw.
The first thing I had to do was print about 1,000 pages of pattern. Then I had to glue and tape it all together. Usually, I will buy the pattern to avoid this step, but the the shipping was from Australia, making the free pattern $40 or so. I couldn’t justify the cost even with the ink, tape, glue and my time. I have to say that the designer did a good job labeling the pieces so it was easy to put together.
After I had the pattern together, I traced it onto tracing paper. This required me pulling out my sewing cabinet, so I could flip up the back. I had one of those cardboard cutting mats people used to use for cutting out garment patterns, but it wandered off somewhere and I couldn’t find it. I just the opportunity of having the back up to also trace my Westchester Dolman Top pattern. I’m glad I thought of that since tracing the pattern to the right size was what was holding me up with that project.
Once those tasks were done, I could start cutting out the fabric. I am using one of the new Philip Jacobs Chrysanthemum prints I bought a few weeks ago. I think this is the same print I used for my sewing machine cover. I think they color the same designs in different ways for new collections.
I chose a white with black dots for the other side. Probably not the most practical choice, but I’ll use the flower print for the front.
I plan to make this reversible. Alison and I talked about how that would work at the last Sew Happy hour so I have an idea in my head on how to do it now.