Island is a novel trilogy by Canadian author Gordon Korman. The books are set in contemporary times and designed for young teenagers.
Definition: “An island /?a?l?nd/ or isle /?a?l/ is any piece of sub-continental land that is surrounded by water. Very small islands such as emergent land features on atolls can be called islets, skerries, cays or keys. An island in a river or a lake island may be called an eyot or ait, or a holm. A grouping of geographically or geologically related islands is called an archipelago, e.g. the Philippines.
An island may be described as such despite the presence of an artificial land bridge, for example Singapore and its causeway, or the various Dutch delta islands, such as IJsselmonde. Some places may even retain “island” in their names for historical reasons after being connected to a larger landmass by a wide land bridge, such as Coney Island or Coronado Island. Conversely, when a piece of land is separated from the mainland by a man-made canal, for example the Peloponnese by the Corinth Canal, it is generally not considered an island.
There are two main types of islands: continental islands and oceanic islands. There are also artificial islands.” (Wikipedia)
Angel Island State Park, the largest island in the San Francisco Bay offers some of the best views of the surrounding Bay Area.
The Big Island
Copenhagen Island Hotel
Trooper Island Camp was developed by the Kentucky State Police as part of a long range program of public service to the youth of Kentucky
Hog Island Oyster Co.
Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery
No Man Is an Island is an expression emphasizing a person’s connections to his or her surroundings. It can also refer to:
- A famous line from “Meditation XVII,” by the English poet John Donne.
- A book by the Trappist monk Thomas Merton.
- No Man Is an Island (Hallmark), a 1953 episode of the Hallmark Hall of Fame about the life of John Donne.
- No Man Is an Island (film), a 1962 film based on the experiences of George Ray Tweed, an American sailor on Guam.
- No Man Is an Island (music), the chamber cantata of Ukrainian composer Victoria Poleva on the text from “Meditation XVII” by J. Donne (2008) for mezzo (women’s choir), piano and Strings.
- No Man is an Island (album), the debut album from reggae singer Dennis Brown.
- A Far Side cartoon in which a man floating in the ocean forces away some tiny people who have built huts on his stomach.
- A quote used in the first sentence of the song Santa Fe from the Blaze of Glory album Jon Bon Jovi made for the soundtrack of the movie Young Guns
- A song written and performed by Tenth Avenue North … first released on the Islands EP in July 2014. (Wikipedia)
Mercer Island Books
Prince Edward Island
Earth Island Institute organizes and encourages activism around environmental issues and provides public education.
Jungle Island is an interactive zoological park where you can meet some of nature’s most amazing creatures.
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Staten Island Ferry
The Island (2005 movie)
stranded on a desert island
Island Chase Subtraction is a multi-player racing game that allows students from anywhere in the world to race one another while practicing their subtraction facts
In his last major work, the Island, the evils that Aldous Huxley has been warning us about in his earlier works – over-population, coercive politics, militarism, mechanization, the destruction of the environment and the worship of science will find their opposites in the gentle and doomed Utopia of Pala. (Woodcock,18)
Island County, Washington
CSU Channel Islands
Fashion Island, Newport Beach
Post the direct URL (link) where your drawing, doodle, artwork is posted (e.g. your blog, Flickr) in the comments area of this post. I would really like to keep all the artwork together and provide a way for others to see your work and/or your blog.
We are also talking about this on Twitter. Use the hashtag #CPP
The Creative Prompt Project, also, has a Flickr group, which you can join to post your responses. I created this spot so those of you without blogs and websites would have a place to post your responses.