I finally made this Flapper Apron from the Decades of Style pattern company. I purchased it at the Speckled Hen during my shop hop with Amanda in January. Not too shabby, actually. Not that much time has gone by.
Frankly, I am on a mission to use up at least 100 yards net of fabric this year and these aprons take two yards. I have an idea to make a series of them for gifts and this was the first one. It is for me and I used some of my my recent Philip Jacobs fabric purchases.
On the Church Ladies apron that I made before and use almost every day, I interfaced all the parts, so it has a bit of heft (stiffness??) to it. Some parts are too stiff. On this Flapper apron, I only interfaced the pocket, so my phone wouldn’t fall out. I am now concerned that I should have interfaced more of it, perhaps with a lighter interfacing than the ShapeFlex I normally use? It feels a little lightweight to me and not able to protect my clothes from wet splashes and drips. (Yes, this is pretty, but I intend to use my aprons)
I am kind of sorry I used this great fabric to make the first one, a sort of test, but I firmly believe I should use my good fabric. I also firmly believe there is more fabric, so I suppose I have more fabric I love and can make another apron if this one isn’t up to par.
This is two sided, so I can turn the inside to the outside if I want. I put one pocket on both sides. I only need a pocket for my phone as I don’t put spoons and other kitchen gear in my apron pockets.
The other thing I need to think about is the neck. I thought I didn’t need to adjust the circle for the neck, but I like my aprons to cover almost up to my neck. In this case, the top of the body of the apron falls below that. I think this is a case in which I should have had SIL#2 help me do the fitting.
This apron was not difficult to make and I like that you use 1 yard of fabric (though I bought 1/25 yards and that gave me some room to maneuver) and is cut on the bias. I was able to finish it in a few hours during one day. I did make some changes to the construction based on my recent experience making the Superheroine apron.
6 thoughts on “Flapper Apron”
Should you care to edit this…. first paragraph…”Not to shabby”….
Done. Thanks! Just an oversight; I do know the difference. 😉
I would never have thought to use interfacing on an apron. I looked at my old aprons that I got from my Mom. Some of these are from the 60’s. None have interfacing. I would say to do what feels most comfortable to you. What about adapting it to be used either side out? You’d have two thicknesses of fabric protecting your clothing and it shouldn’t be as stiff as proper interfacing can be.
Love the idea of using up fabric this way. Yours are so pretty. They’ll make the food taste better!!!
I might have to get a pattern and give one a try. I needed another project anyway. 🙂 lol
I guess I wasn’t clear. This is a two sided apron. I can use either side. When I wear it, it doesn’t feel like it would protect my clothing from grease, etc. It is a very easy pattern – works up very quickly.
thanks you so much for your kind words!
I seriously love this, both the vintage look and the amount of (great!) fabric it uses. One of these might be in my future.
They really are very easy and if you have made aprons in the past, you will be able to whip this up quickly.
Comments are closed.